Monday, December 8, 2008

Dear Jeff,

It’s such heart hardening to hear that you are ill. When I tried to look for you last time at Neuroscience Meeting, David told me that you broke your back and I was so worried, but when I called and talked with you, you said it is nothing and I hope this is the same this time...

You are such a wonderful mentor and a humorous philosopher that I am so fortunate to have known. I still remember when you first arrived in Berkeley and it was such a privilege for me to be able to get into your contemporary method class despite so many other students on the waiting list. This eventually guided and shaped the beginning of my scientific life through your endless encouragement and intellectual discussion. I also remembered my several returned visits to Berkeley from time to time after I left for NC, finding you at the same desk in front of the microscope with the huge sheet of paper of camera lucida drawing next to it. During one of these visits, you told me that you discovered Chinese ink was the best to use for the camera lucida drawing because of the viscosity and density of the ink, and you were learning to do calligraphy as well. I was so delight to hear that as I am a big fan of Chinese culture preservation, especially calligraphy which is an utmost art form in the literary world that capture the spirit and life of the very moment of one’s inner self. We had a long discussion of the philosophy about life and art, and I treasure those fond memories. I believed that when you are drawing the neurons and axons, you are transforming them into life form as well! It is your beautiful art and philosophy as well as your patience and encouragement that have transformed many students’ lives!

Best wishes,
-Psyche Lee

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jeff,

    The news is a tragedy to the neuroanatomy community, to the Berkeley campus, and to the many students you have inspired along the way. I’m at a loss of words to describe the events. I will never forget the 3 years I spent working in your lab. You are a great mentor, and without a doubt, I owe so much to your good will and support. You always had time for the students who worked for you or took your class. You made it a habit to go above and beyond the call of duty of a professor or principal investigator. Your command of neuroanatomy is mindboggling, to say the least, and your breadth of knowledge is nothing short of amazing. Your tenacity, sharp wit, hard work ethic, and gregarious personality are all attributes and characteristics that even the best of us will aspire to attain and share. You command the respect of many, and with that I will say,

    With respect, gratitude, and admiration,

    Amar Kishan

    ReplyDelete